- So Much for the Anti-War President (Reason)
"[O]wnership of about 90 percent of land in the eastern part of the city is not listed in the Israel Land Registry, Consequently, Palestinian ... [landowners] cannot submit applications for construction permits":
- Palestinians to Resume Building in East Jerusalem After Municipality Pushes Back Against Far-right Pressure (Haaretz)
The winner's choice of a running mate intolerant of "Shiites, Ahmadiyya Muslims, LGBTQ people, and more ... shows how ... Islamic credentials have become central to authority and credibility in Indonesian politics":
- Islam Is the Winning Ticket in Indonesia (Foreign Policy )
Designed "to target Muslims, especially Muslim women wearing the hijab or niqab, ... in also condemning kippot, the bill inadvertently calls attention to the profound affinity between Islam and Judaism":
- Weinfeld: Bill 21 May Be a Starting Point for a Muslim-Jewish Alliance (Canadian Jewish News)
500 were placed in administrative detention, which allows detainees to be held indefinitely without charge or trial":
- Israel Detained 1,600 Palestinians, 230 Children in 2019 (Middle East Monitor)
"Intelligence officials reportedly were concerned about the report’s framing, saying they suspected it was painting Iran in a deliberately unflattering light rather than providing an objective assessment" ...
... meanwhile, designating the IRGC a foreign terrorist organization threatens "the passage of bills that would have Iran meet international standards for combating money laundering and terrorism financing":
"We do not have free media. We have a state-run TV and radio. If we had 500 media outlets, cyberspace would not have been so congested. [People resort to cyberspace] because they have no other place"--Rouhani ...
... like criminalizing women who wear no headscarf, criminalizing those who don't "is an extreme form of gender-based discrimination and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment that deeply damages women’s dignity":
- Iran: Release Women’s Rights Defenders Detained for Peacefully Protesting Against Forced Veiling (Amnesty International)
"Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said relations with Turkey are the best they’ve been in decades, while Rouhani struck a conciliatory tone amid Saudi and Emirati flood aid":
“I think as the world increasingly becomes more polarized, there's more people willing to listen to Palestinians"--Journalist and filmmaker Mariam Shahin: